MLN Digital Content Selection Policy
The Collection Development Policy for Digital Content for the Minuteman Library Network (MLN) is based on and reflects MLN's stated mission, vision, and goals. Digital content shall be selected by a Collection Development Committee, whose members, chosen from a representative cross section of member libraries, are appointed based on qualification by reason of education and training. The responsibility for the materials in the collection resides with the MLN Membership Committee.
Digital content shall be selected and retained on the basis of its value for the interest, education, information, and recreation of the people of the communities comprising the MLN. We recognize the challenges of purchasing for both public and academic libraries while fulfilling the needs of the diverse population that MLN serves. The Collection Development Committee shall consider all library user suggestions of titles and subjects to be included in the library collection, and purchase materials based on this policy.
The following criteria are taken into consideration in selecting materials for the collection:
• Interest and demand –staff and patron requests, usage data, waiting lists
• Suitability of subject, style, and reading level for intended audience
• Reviews – in review journals, popular media
• Best sellers and award winners
• Effective match of content to medium
• Budget considerations
• Authoritativeness of author, issuing body, and/or publisher
• Accuracy and comprehensiveness
• Currency where important to the topic
• Diversity of viewpoint
• Format – availability and popularity
No material that meets MLN's selection criteria shall be excluded because of the origin, background, or views of the author or those contributing to its creation. Not all materials may be suitable for all members of the community.